Singin’ in the Rain. This film hooked me from the opening scene! Of course we all know this movie is considered one of the ultimate classics. If you haven’t seen it, you better go out and get a copy to watch! The film is not only funny and full of songs, but the story is captivating and incites real interest. I can’t believe it took me this long to finally see this film. Words cannot express how glad I am that we watched Singin’ in the Rain in class last night. After experiencing one horrible day, this film cheered me up instantly. It is not only a new movie in my top ten all time favorite movies, but it is now my all time favorite musical.
Gene Kelly is mesmerizing in this film. He dances, sings, acts, and looks brilliant while doing it all! I’ll admit, I’ve always thought musicals with random dance numbers were cheesy, but I thoroughly enjoyed the numbers throughout this movie. Each and every part was fun, appropriate, and truly entertaining. Not only were all of the dance and singing numbers awesome, but they appeared flawlessly done. I could not even tell that they pieced a few sections together. This film had the best flow I think I’ve ever seen in a movie. It was like one continuous shot with different settings the entire time. I was thoroughly impressed.
On to my favorite character: Cosmo Brown. Cosmo is the guy you want to be your best friend. He’s absolutely hilarious with all of his one-liners and comedic segments. Without this sidekick character, the film would lose a lot of its allure. Although I love Cosmo, I can’t help but feel sorry for him. He’s the most underappreciated character in the film. Cosmo possesses just as many, if not more, talents than most of the other characters. He can act, dance, sing, write music, be a comedian, come up with better ideas for films, and much much more! I just don’t understand why he wasn’t given more credit throughout the film. Maybe it’s just the school girl crush I have on him that makes me feel this way, but I just want to yell, “SOMEONE TELL HIM HOW AWESOME HE IS!!!!!!!!!!!!” I guess there always has to be that character in Hollywood that doesn’t get what he deserves. That’s the business, right?
The last thing I want to comment on about this film is the little tidbit of information our professor shared with us after the movie: the fact that another voice was used instead of Debbie Reynolds’ for the character Lina is just extremely paradoxical. The character Kathy Selden does the voice for Lina’s character, but in reality a completely different voice does the voice for Kathy in one of the songs. Crazy! It’s a winding road of lies and deceit. Oh Hollywood, you evil mistress you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

The flawlessness of Singin' in the Rain really caught my attention. A lot of the movies today seem to fake and done-up so that they look flawless. However, you can tell from the lack of changes in camera views and whatnot that these actors really had it down pat.
ReplyDeleteI'm also impressed by people who can really do what the movies make them seem like they can do. It annoys the heck out of me when actors' inability to act or sing or dance is masked by hey-look-at-ME! editing or lighting.
ReplyDelete