It’s time to start the show! We’re finally getting started on creating our own group short films for class. These films encompass an array of genres and must be anywhere from two to five minutes long. My group was given the genre of drama, so we should be able to do some very exciting things with that! In our film we must also include the following elements:
1. Must have a Mime/clown
2. Must have the line “Why is this happening to me today of all days?” and "It would be better for us not to talk about that."
3. Must have a guitar, a cheese grater, and skull
Obviously, this film making project will be very fun and interesting. Luckily, we’ve learned a lot about cinematography, editing, and screenwriting, and are well prepared.
Our group has come up with a few ideas for our film, but nothing concrete just yet. We’ve thought about a stalker girl who “just happens” to run into this boy over and over on campus. The idea of a mix of different scenes that don’t make sense and then all come together at the end seemed like a very interesting idea to our group as well. One last idea we’re toying with is that of a blind date. Maybe the man and woman were meant to be or maybe they hate each other and it’s one big dramatic show down. Maybe some elements of miscommunication? All of these ideas have just been thrown around between us but I can tell that we’re going to come up with a great final product.
With the calibration of our talents together, we can really accomplish a lot of good things in this film. Personally, I have a few ideas in mind that I want to see in our film. I want a wide variety of camera angles throughout the movie. I believe that this will keep the viewers interested in the film the entire time while also giving them different perspectives of what’s going on. These different angles will definitely be accomplishable with the camera equipment and resources we are given. Also, I would like to have dramatic lighting to enhance the mood of our genre. Since our genre is in fact drama, I think some dramatic lighting on the characters will portray that mood. We can do this by using extra lights that we each own and placing them in opportune spots. Lastly, interesting dialogue is something I personally want to see in our film. I would love to throw a few one-liners and witty comments in every once and a while. Dialogue like that really pulls me into the story and incites an entirely different emotion from me. I want the viewers of our film to feel as though a wide spectrum of their feelings were aroused while watching the movie.
Basically, my overall ambition is to create something that others enjoy and that I am proud of. I want people to like the movie and appreciate it for all of the hard work that was put into it. It will take hours of sweat and blood (not literally), but I know we can do it together. I hope that my classmates truly take delight in viewing our short film during our finals week film festival.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Sounds like you have a good project on your hands! I'm eager to see how it turns out...what position are you in your group?
ReplyDeleteI definitely think you have a good point about having a variety of shots and angles. If we do too much of the same thing, it's going to get monotonous fast, not just for the viewers, but for us as we film. I'm not sure if you've had a chance to look at Sarah's first draft, but I think there are a lot of opprtunities for different and unusual shots there.
ReplyDeleteDrama! You'll need to think about tension and how to achieve it through all the elements of film. Can't wait to see what you come up with!
ReplyDeleteImran: I am the sound editor. I hope I can come up with some good stuff!
ReplyDelete