Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Lights! Camera! Action!

It’s officially time to start organizing and filming our short movies. I must admit, initially, I was really worried about this project. I thought there was no way that five regular students could accomplish something of value. But after all of our training in filmmaking, I am truly confident in our abilities. I think we have a great team dynamic that will really help us create something magnificent.

Our script is all done and we have actors picked out for the main roles. The plot of the film is somewhat of a spinoff of an idea we originally thought of for comedy. Once we were assigned the genre drama, we were able to fit that concept we thought was really neat into what we needed. I don’t want to spoil the plot, so I’ll just leave it at that. But, I will say that our short film will blow you away!

My official role in making this film is sound editor. I am in charge of adding in all the extra sounds that you would normally hear when actually doing what the actors will be doing on screen. I also add in special effect sounds and background music that can’t be recorded while on set. I’m really anxious to start putting some sounds with film and seeing how it works out. I’ve never done anything like this so I know it will for sure be a new experience. I’m also a little nervous because I want our film to be the best that it can be, which means the sound has to be just right. I’m confident that I can figure out how to most effectively use sounds in our film that highlight what we want the viewers to notice.

In class last week, our groups got the opportunity to discuss the plan of attack for our film production. It was great to have that time to communicate with each other since we are all very busy during other times in the week. As long as we have a structured plan that maps out when we film, how long it will take, and what we need for each scene, I think we can get everything done in a timely manner.

The last comment I want to make is about the clip Eric showed in class before we broke into our groups. It was a video called “Minesweeper-The Movie” that can be found on YouTube. I personally thought this faux movie preview was hilarious! It was just about the game minesweeper that is on all regular computers and why we play the game. It was definitely a funny parody about the game and I suggest you all go and watch it for a quick laugh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHY8NKj3RKs

1 comment:

  1. The conventions of trailers are wonderful -- and mocking them is a great art form. Have you seen this one? Just great.

    ReplyDelete