Friday, January 22, 2010

Rosebud

I thought I learned a lot from the first day of film class, but this last class was packed full of audio and visual filmmaking lessons. There are so many different things that must be thought out before you can just pick up a camera and start filming. There are settings, camera angles, actors/actresses, audio, transitions, and more that must be carefully orchestrated to make a film a success. Honestly, the past class was very overwhelming for me. The thought of having to put so much energy into something that lasts such a small amount of time is crazy. If I wanted, I could go out and film a few scenes with an interesting plot all on one tape. Then I could play it for an audience and feel successful. But without all of the cinematographic elements included, my movie would be a complete failure. The way a movie is filmed and edited really makes the movie. Close-ups and wide shots portray a different and more interesting story throughout a movie. The colorings of different scenes enhance important images and make others turn into background noise. A transition from one scene to the next can be really rough if not planned out carefully. Even though I am still a bit overwhelmed, I am definitely looking forward to learning more about how to turn raw footage into a high-quality film.

I am also looking forward to our next assignment: putting together a short 2 minute film with random clips centered around certain mood words. This task is also pretty nerve-racking for me, but I am ready to face the challenge. This will be the first time that I have created my own “film.” In high school, I participated in history day competitions and actually made two documentaries about historical events. The process for making those documentaries was a bit scary, but I overcame it with time. With this background from history day, I feel a little more confident about the 2 minute film assignment, or at least working with the computer to create it. Putting together raw footage and attempting to create a certain mood will be pretty tough. I will definitely be getting started soon!

My favorite part of this particular class, however, was the clip from Citizen Kane. I have heard a multitude of wonderful things about this movie, but have never been truly inspired to actually sit down and watch it. The clips shown in class made me want to go out and immediately find this movie. I assure you all I will be sitting down in the very near future, enjoying this classic film with popcorn and friends. And I will discover the true meaning of Rosebud.

3 comments:

  1. I would love to see it as well! Let's get something together.

    I wimped out with my documentary for History Day and just used powerpoint. I'm paying for it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the scene from Citizen Kane too! :)

    And this project of putting this clips together is going to be interesting. I'm not sure it will turn out that well, but I just keep reminding myself that everyone is having to work with the same weird clips, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I. Love. Citizen Kane.

    And not just because I'm "supposed" to. The best-kept secret about this "classic" is how friggin' entertaining it is. I typically show it every semester in film class, but it didn't fit our theme this year, unfortunately. (Movies about opera would have worked, though! There's an idea ... movies about other art forms ... hmmmmmmmmm ...)

    ReplyDelete